21 January 2015

Voids & Nubs

Fun fact #591. Voids and nubs are the technical terms for the innie and outtie parts on puzzle pieces. Fun!
You'll thank me later.

Instead of sinking into the couch, putting up my feet and flicking on a movie -like most normal gals- after a solid 12 hours of serious toddler play (Dear baby stage mother, you have no idea) and a ravagingly hungry baby...I admit it....I have a pensioners fancy for puzzles. Yes, those ridiculously big ones. Yes, I could be going out and living an actual life.

Honestly though, I just can't help myself.

But before I ramble on and on blissfully unaware that you've left, let me show you what I'm trying to get at here:

See what I mean?

I don't even care if you like puzzles or not, you now know what I'm talking about. If you like anything frilly and ribbony this is your candy shop. Don't you just want to leap in there and bundle all those goodies in your arms and start singing "I feel pretty! Oh, so pretty!" at the top of your lungs while swooning with the fabric rolls?
No? Just me?
Okay then.

"I feel pretty! Oh, so pretty! That the city should give me its keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!!!!"


When I was a kid, we had a clock shop puzzle. It had 1000 pieces and pretty much the coolest thing I can remember ever doing. Fun childhood, you say? You bet! It had a gazillion clock faces and I just loved that small glitter of accomplishment every time one piece fit into another. I also had a lot of patience as a child to do such things. I could sit for hours doing seemingly boring things to everyone else, which I found absolutely fascinating. I was also the type of child who lined up all her colouring pencils in rows according to their colour. Today, some would probably call it racist. I must of had a lot of pencils come to think of it, because the Red family consisted of about ten nicely sharpened heads and the black family was about seven strong. The yellow family was very short. The Greens were all very different shades. The Blue family were my pride and joy. The Purples had just adopted baby rose. The Browns were quite a small family. The Nudes even smaller. And my most favorite of all, the lilac and white striped Stabilo Grandpa. He didn't have anyone else so he became the patriarch of all pencils. I had hours of fun with my pencil families and I wouldn't have traded those times for anything. Not even the latest Barbie.

I had to put this one in. It reminds me of Downton Abbey. Or better yet Upstairs Downstairs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, a simple life can be beautiful. If you want it to be.

So instead of opening up the laptop to watch another episode of heart-numbingness or scrolling through that can'tlivewithout-newsfeed on your phone, why don't you go and dust off an old puzzle. Sit on the living room floor in half awe and half dazed because you've just realized that the world is more beautiful than you ever thought possible from down here.

And don't forget to check out some other pretty puzzles here :)

Emelia xx

No comments:

Post a Comment